Need some advice

Please use the Forum of conversations about Cross Link Conversions' boiler systmes

Need some advice

Postby sbexp123 » October 29th, 2014, 11:45 pm

Recently installed a kit in a P68. Stove installed in the garage and lines run 15ft to domestic exchanger then on to boiler for holding/zone use.
My dilemma is pellet usage. No matter what i try i am burning through 2 bags in less than 24 hours. Ive tried multiple combos of fan speed, feed rates and numerous temp settings. I have even tried constant burn or stove mode for the older stoves and still the stove is hogging down the pellets. A little more info: temps have been in the teens and they are not even close to cold yet...we live in North Pole Ak outside of Fairbanks. The kit is sending out around 140-150 and returning at 120-130 respectively. Have the BB pump set on CP 4. To top it off the boiler is still firing even though it turned down below the liquid temp.
My lastest attempt was just clicked over into constant burn, feed rate to 1, and temp knob at 2....pretty much barely warm in my opinion....came home and stove was empty and shut down as once again it ate 2 bags in less than 24 hours. Is this normal? Am i doing something wrong? Do i have a bad comp board? Am i asking to much from the stove?

Any advice would be appriciated. I am sure it's something simple I'm missing or not thinking about. Once I get it figured out, I'll post some pics and what I have learned in the process.

I should add that Tommy has been outstanding to work with and has made every effort to help where he can.
sbexp123

Re: Need some advice

Postby got2bss » October 31st, 2014, 5:38 pm

Sounds like a bad room sensor or exhaust sensing probe maybe? Is the stove running all the time on a auto setting? I haven't had much cold weather to try my set up out yet...I'm also a new user, both p68 and the kit. I've been running a auto setting 3.5 feed rate 4. My average water temp around 88 on the return side, using only about 1/2 to 3/4 of a bag of pellets a day.
Jeff
got2bss

Postby tommy » October 31st, 2014, 7:39 pm

Check out this posting on this forum under

How Your Harman Works -what your manual doesn't tell you..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=346

Postby tommy » November 15th, 2012, 1:37 pm
tommy

Postby JayA » November 1st, 2014, 4:10 pm

sbexp123 wrote:Recently installed a kit in a P68. Stove installed in the garage and lines run 15ft to domestic exchanger then on to boiler for holding/zone use.
My dilemma is pellet usage. No matter what i try i am burning through 2 bags in less than 24 hours. Ive tried multiple combos of fan speed, feed rates and numerous temp settings. I have even tried constant burn or stove mode for the older stoves and still the stove is hogging down the pellets. A little more info: temps have been in the teens and they are not even close to cold yet...we live in North Pole Ak outside of Fairbanks. The kit is sending out around 140-150 and returning at 120-130 respectively. Have the BB pump set on CP 4. To top it off the boiler is still firing even though it turned down below the liquid temp.
My lastest attempt was just clicked over into constant burn, feed rate to 1, and temp knob at 2....pretty much barely warm in my opinion....came home and stove was empty and shut down as once again it ate 2 bags in less than 24 hours. Is this normal? Am i doing something wrong? Do i have a bad comp board? Am i asking to much from the stove?

Any advice would be appriciated. I am sure it's something simple I'm missing or not thinking about. Once I get it figured out, I'll post some pics and what I have learned in the process.

I should add that Tommy has been outstanding to work with and has made every effort to help where he can.

I hate to say this, but from my experience, get use to 2 bags or better a day. I don't know what these other guys are doing to use 1/2 a bag a day but I just don't see how it's possible unless they are heating a slab or something. I have an 1850 sq ft ranch with baseboard heat, R21 wall and r38-50 in the ceiling and last winter I was using 2 bags a day, 5 1/2 ton season pellet usage, and about 100 gallons of propane. My system, 3 zones, pumps out water at about 160 and return at about 140 with 1 zone calling, with 2 zones calling it's about 150 out 130 return. I have an aquastat on the return at the stove to shut it down at 170, and the time it takes to burn down/burn out it'll reach 180-185. Anything set over 170 and I'll pop the relief valve. I have my BB pump set on constant speed 1 to run through the stove, a taco 007 runs my gas boiler loop, and another BB pump pushing through 3 zone valves. Both BB pumps pull off the boiler loop. I'm trying something a little different this year with not letting the stove burn out, I'm running it in manual mode, not auto ignite, so the fire never burns out and hopefully this will help with my boiler/water storage in the boiler, from losing too much temp before the pellet stove reignites. I too think I'm using too much pellets from what all the claims are, but trying to get answers or real help from people that claim they are using almost nothing is tough. I do have to say though, I'm not saving any money using this system, but I'm not spending any more money either, but my house is a constant 68-70 degrees all winter long now instead of 62 at night when sleeping and when I'm gone and 68 when I'm home. I've tried everything I can possibly come up with trying to get less pellet usage, but when it hits single or negative temps it just doesn't happen. By the way, I'm running a Harman P43 on setting 4, sometimes setting 5 when very cold out. Sorry I can't help more, wish this thing ran more efficient as well.
JayA

Postby pelletburner » November 2nd, 2014, 7:02 am

Jay do you think having a bigger stove would help with the amount of pellets you are burning.
pelletburner

Postby chadhumm » November 2nd, 2014, 10:11 am

I just recently moved didn't have time to set it up this winter but have had it running the previous 3 winters. My experience with the hot water system is about a bag and a half a day. When its above 30 degrees it shuts off and on, under that it runs non stop but I still come out way ahead on money savings. A poorly insulated 1600 sq ft old farm house. (but did blow in in the attic) $6 or less per day of pellets x 30 days = $180 a month for 4 months = $720 for winter heating. Since corn has gone down in price I might switch over and see how things go . $3.80 for 56# instead of $4.00 + tax for 40# of pellets. In my experience corn also burn hotter. BTW Im using a pc45 with a basic water to air heat exchanger in the furnace. The lower the water temperature you can use the better the heat transfer in the stove = more effecient. I tried higher temps, used more fuel. Note: it can take a long time to make 160 degree water 165 degree water. But it takes no time to make 100 degree water 140 degree water. Use the lowest water temperature you can get by with in your application.

Ive used many different brands of corn stoves, and yes the Harman PC45 does use more fuel than the others. I use it because of the convenience factor, the ability to turn itself off and on, less cleaning than other stoves. The St. Croix Auburn gave me the most heat with the least amount of fuel used. I still have it but don't use it because I need the ability to turn my stove off and on when Im not home. via an internet/wifi thermostat.
chadhumm

Postby JayA » November 2nd, 2014, 12:00 pm

pelletburner wrote:Jay do you think having a bigger stove would help with the amount of pellets you are burning.

No, I don't think a bigger stove would use less pellets, but I do think it would help keep up in the colder months. For those that don't know, I'm in upstate NY, most of the time the temps are low to mid teens, and the kit works OK, meaning not very often the boiler kicks in to help, but when it gets below that is when it just can't keep up and I'm burning propane. I tried the water to air in my forced air furnace, yes I have one of those as well, and it simply just did not work. The blower on the furnace KILLED my water temps. It took about 40-50 degrees out of the water and the stove just was not capable of recovering the loss fast enough. I moved into this house 10 years ago with a dinosaur forced air furnace, replaced it with the help of a "heating guy" friend that totally oversized it with a 90k btu 95% efficient furnace. I knew nothing then and found I was burning a LOT of propane, just about as costly as my old heating oil furnace. I started looking into heat loss programs and went through the house to find that Im at at 60k btu heat loss. I've always liked baseboard heat and know that it's more efficient than forced air so I started installing it a couple years later, then came across this kit, read through postings, and about a year later bit the bullet and bought a kit from Tommy. Trust me when I say I've tried everything I can think of and researched on how to burn less pellets, but I just don't see how it's possible. The house is a steady 68-70 degrees 24/7 now because I've found I burn more pellets setting the thermostat back for the night and trying to play catch up than to just leave it at one temp. I have a fairly open floor plan and I figure I'm going to try one or two more things with this setup and if I don't find any better results I'm thinking about pulling the kit out and running the stove on its own and letting the pellet stove do its thing in the main living area and seeing what happens. Living room, dining room, kitchen are all open to each other, 3 bedrooms off the living room, meaning doors are open to the living room where the stove is, and a back addition which is the zone that runs most. Bedroom zones rarely run, most of the heat to them trickles in from the living room where the stove is, so I think the only zone that will call for heat is my addition which is the furthest from the stove. We will see....
JayA

Postby pelletburner » November 2nd, 2014, 8:43 pm

I understand what your saying. My floor plan is open. I have radiant heat in my 24x24 addition. I dont use it too much because the oil has gotten expensive. I would like to run a crosslink kit just for that floor. Just dont want to burn 2 bags of pellets a day. I am burning one bag in the stove I have now. 2 to 2.5 tons a winter. cant see the point in doubling that. One tank of fuel oil last me about a year. Mostly to just make hot water and heat the floor just a little. Good to hear your thoughts on things.
pelletburner

Return to Cross Link Conversions