looking for input

Please use the Forum of conversations about Cross Link Conversions' boiler systmes

looking for input

Postby got2bss » August 21st, 2014, 8:23 pm

I have been looking at this site for a while. I was finally able to find a used P68 and I am wanted to do the conversion on it.
current set up 1300 +/- sq ft Ranch home, oil boiler single zone, full basement with a pellet stove, no insulation in the floor and just a few ducts and an inline fan to move the warm air upstairs, I can maintain the house temp but cannot really raise the temp in the house ...the heat loss out the block walls is too great.
so new stove and hopefully adding the conversion kit
I was thinking of a parallel set up????
oil boiler is set up to pull water through it so I think I need to change that to push the water through it the same as the kit???
boiler and pellet stove are at opposite ends of the basement can I just tie the pellet stove in at any point in the zone loop???
will water flow through a pump that is not running or should I have a loop around each pump with a check valve???

any input in my system design would be welcome thanks in advance
Jeff
got2bss

Re: looking for input

Postby tommy » September 1st, 2014, 1:32 pm

Yes the kit needs the water tobe pushed thru it NOT PULLED.
AS far as water flowing thru a pump It depends on the pump,It still will restrick the flow as the water has to go around or turn the inpeller of the none working pump.
Yes people are openig there lets say baseboard living room loop and using that zones pump to take the water from the boiler and push the water thru the kit and back to the boiler .They leave that zones loop pump running continuosly .Then the other zones can open and close ( or on and off ) as needed just like before.Some people run all there zones open and use a lower water temp and turn the stove up and down to there needs
tommy

Postby pampersman » November 1st, 2014, 3:46 pm

Hi everyone, I too am new and ready to try this system. I can't afford another $4500 winter. I spoke to Tommy the other night and he recommended the Harman P-43 for me. I just found one on Craigslist, here is the add.

Selling my harman p43 pellet stove. Like new used 1 season. 43,000 btu, auto ignite, auger feed, thermostat, extended hopper, includes exhaust pipe. Throws very good heat. Asking $2,500 obo.
A brand new one will cost another $1000. What should I look for and what questions should be asked when I go to look at it? Thanks for the input.

Pat
pampersman

Postby JayA » November 1st, 2014, 4:24 pm

pampersman wrote:Hi everyone, I too am new and ready to try this system. I can't afford another $4500 winter. I spoke to Tommy the other night and he recommended the Harman P-43 for me. I just found one on Craigslist, here is the add.

Selling my harman p43 pellet stove. Like new used 1 season. 43,000 btu, auto ignite, auger feed, thermostat, extended hopper, includes exhaust pipe. Throws very good heat. Asking $2,500 obo.
A brand new one will cost another $1000. What should I look for and what questions should be asked when I go to look at it? Thanks for the input.

Pat

Pat, feel free to give me a ring, maybe before you buy also. I think if you're spending that much in heating bills I don't think a P43 is going to be big enough. That's what I'm running, 1850 sq ft ranch, baseboard heat, propane usage about 150 gallons/month when it gets really cold out. Last winter I used 5 1/2 ton of pellets and about 100 gallons of propane. sounds like you're using about 1600 gallons of propane a year which is about double what I would use and I have to tell you, the P43 doesn't keep up when it gets in the single digits and below. Barely keeps up in the low teens. Like I said, if you'd like to give me a call feel free, if not I hope it works out for you. 315- four four seven - nine five four nine.

Jay
JayA

Postby pampersman » November 1st, 2014, 5:17 pm

Jay,
Greatly appreciate your reply and advice. My house is only 1560 sq ft. 3 rooms downstairs and same upstairs with 2 small bathrooms. There are no open areas and the doorways in each room are narrow, like 29 inches wide and 6.5 ft high. There really is no circulation of air from room to room. The rooms heat up quickly. There is baseboard on every exterior wall for the full length. My boiler is oil fired. I don't know too much about pellet stoves, I am going off what Tommy recommended when I spoke with him.
pampersman

Postby tommy » November 1st, 2014, 8:42 pm

JayA wrote:
pampersman wrote:Hi everyone, I too am new and ready to try this system. I can't afford another $4500 winter. I spoke to Tommy the other night and he recommended the Harman P-43 for me. I just found one on Craigslist, here is the add.

Pat

Pat, feel free to give me a ring, maybe before you buy also. I think if you're spending that much in heating bills I don't think a P43 is going to be big enough. That's what I'm running, 1850 sq ft ranch, baseboard heat, propane usage about 150 gallons/month when it gets really cold out. Last winter I used 5 1/2 ton of pellets and about 100 gallons of propane. sounds like you're using about 1600 gallons of propane a year which is about double what I would use and I have to tell you, the P43 doesn't keep up when it gets in the single digits and below. Barely keeps up in the low teens. Like I said, if you'd like to give me a call feel free, if not I hope it works out for you. 315- four four seven - nine five four nine.

Jay

The forum is a great place for info from others Jay would know what his p43 can do so Pat call him for sure .You may need a p61 after all .I can only guess when I asked .I like to see people using the forum .To help eash other out this is why I have it open for the public.SOMETIMES it is better to go bigger and not have to run your stove on the higher setting.
tommy

Postby JayA » November 2nd, 2014, 12:32 pm

Tommy, my PM function isn't working, I can read a PM but cannot write or respond to one. Anything you can do to fix this? Thanks.
JayA

Postby tommy » November 2nd, 2014, 1:57 pm

JayA wrote:Tommy, my PM function isn't working, I can read a PM but cannot write or respond to one. Anything you can do to fix this? Thanks.

Jay
I will see if I can fix your pm setting
I will pm you then you can reply back to me and we will see
tommy

Postby pampersman » November 2nd, 2014, 5:27 pm

I'm going tomorrow to look at a P61 not auto ignition. Guy says it's in excellent condition. It's from the year 2000. He said we can fire it up and watch it run. Anything I should look at specifically? This will be my first pellet stove, so I don't know too much about them. Thanks,

Pat
pampersman

Postby tommy » November 2nd, 2014, 11:58 pm

tommy wrote:
JayA wrote:Tommy, my PM function isn't working, I can read a PM but cannot write or respond to one. Anything you can do to fix this? Thanks.

Jay

JayA
Lets see if it works for you now I emailed and privet messaged you
Please let me know
tommy
tommy

Postby tommy » November 4th, 2014, 2:42 pm

tommy wrote:
tommy wrote:

Jay

JayA
Lets see if it works for you now I emailed and privet messaged you
Please let me know
tommy

Jay A glad I am glad it wors now
tommy

Return to Cross Link Conversions