Harmon P68 Feeding Boiler & DHW Tank

Please use the Forum of conversations about Cross Link Conversions' boiler systmes

Harmon P68 Feeding Boiler & DHW Tank

Postby mrmet1966 » April 26th, 2014, 10:46 am

Tommy;
First off I would like to thank you for your time and all of your thoughts , the quality of the kit you provided is amazing , not to mention all the items that you include with it. I would highly recommend it to all throughout my industry!! (HVAC) As you know by now , me and my brother are experimenting with a couple scenarios with this kit. As we understand your concept, we are trying to push thing to the limit with the "speed of the recovery of the hot water tank.

After talking with you, I am taking into consideration the loss of energy by going directly into the HWC of the 55 gallon indirect, however I still need to try a couple of other thing before I go to the Sidearm System. If the concern is that the water going back in to the heat exchanger of the stove will be to low in order to get the supply temp I'm looking for, (170-180) have you had any experience with piping a bypass downstream using Mono-Flo tees from the supply right back in to the return of the stove? this would help keep the water entering the kit at a higher Temp lessening the temp drop coming out of the DHW coil also slowing down the flow a bit. I'm not sure how much this will help, but I have to think it will also help the overall performance of the kit as well. All thought are welcomed..

Jim
mrmet1966

Re: Harmon P68 Feeding Boiler & DHW Tank

Postby tommy » April 27th, 2014, 4:13 pm

mrmet1966 wrote:Tommy;
First off I would like to thank you for your time and all of your thoughts , the quality of the kit you provided is amazing , not to mention all the items that you include with it. I would highly recommend it to all throughout my industry!! (HVAC) As you know by now , me and my brother are experimenting with a couple scenarios with this kit. As we understand your concept, we are trying to push thing to the limit with the "speed of the recovery of the hot water tank.

After talking with you, I am taking into consideration the loss of energy by going directly into the HWC of the 55 gallon indirect, however I still need to try a couple of other thing before I go to the Sidearm System. If the concern is that the water going back in to the heat exchanger of the stove will be to low in order to get the supply temp I'm looking for, (170-180) have you had any experience with piping a bypass downstream using Mono-Flo tees from the supply right back in to the return of the stove? this would help keep the water entering the kit at a higher Temp lessening the temp drop coming out of the DHW coil also slowing down the flow a bit. I'm not sure how much this will help, but I have to think it will also help the overall performance of the kit as well. All thought are welcomed..

Jim

Jim
Remember the kits are designed for a delta T.
If you read some of the posting and watch some of the you tube videos you will see that you leave the indirect part of you DHW alone so you can still use it or turn it off for the winter.Adding a Side Arm Heat exchanger works GREAT ( see other postings ) and you will not be draining you Delta T very much at all.
I like that you and you brother are trying to see how else you can get more from your investment.I do believe you will get the results you are looking for if you add the longest side are you can ( meaning the out side 2 in piping with a 1 in inside pipe. )
tommy

Postby mrmet1966 » April 28th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Tommy

I do understand your kit being designed based on Delta T, My only concerns are this, I have a 55 gallon Tank, With 5 people living in my home, there are times more often that not that three or four consecutive showers are taking , which drains the tank as we all know, now with the oil burn pumping 180deg water in to the coil during these times, seems to keep the tank somewhat satisfied. I'm not convinced that the sidearm could heat the water that quickly while supplying the rest of my homes heating loops. (4 zones of Baseboard ) I could be wrong, but that's why we piped it the way we did. (Prioritizing the Hot Water)
I don't remember if I mentioned in our phone conversation that we wired two zone valves in a bypass formation to directly feed water into the kit , bypassing all heating zones, this was done in order to treat the DHT the way it was designed,to operate. I do have all the proper bypass valves and controls wired so that if I wanted to isolate the DHT from the kit, and continue to heat it with by the boiler, I can do it with the flick of a switch. We are considering adding a couple more zone valves along with other relays to do all of this automatically, this way if the stove cant keep up with the demand the boiler would just kick in and take over.
mrmet1966

Postby tommy » May 6th, 2014, 9:39 pm

As every home is different you will have to see what works in your home .The side arm on hot water heaters works great I have a 85 gallon and have never ran out of hot shower water.As others are using the side arms and seem not to have any problems with running out of hot water.I have yet to here of one customer not happy with there side arm.I know it is hard to beleive .It really is the way to go.I know of big familys using them and they are happy.
tommy

Postby mrmet1966 » May 8th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Tommy,
What would you say is the average water temperature running through your stove ???
mrmet1966

Postby tommy » May 8th, 2014, 8:18 pm

My home work very well at 150 to 160
tommy

Return to Cross Link Conversions