Looking for a detailed diagram

Please use the Forum of conversations about Cross Link Conversions' boiler systmes

Looking for a detailed diagram

Postby vtpenguin » February 26th, 2014, 8:44 pm

Howdy from VT. I had a great conversation with Tommy today, (thanks Tommy!). I'm pretty handy, have done some plumbing, worked with copper and PEX, but have never done any heating installations. I'll probably have a plumber take a look at my final plan before I start sweating and crimping, just to be safe. Otherwise I want to do all of this on my own. So what I'm hoping for is someone that has done something similar to what I'd like to do.

I have a oil furnace, weil mclein, with a hot water coil for domestic, with a electric hot water heater/holding tank. I would like to put the Harmon (yet to purchase) with kit in my basement living room area, that will eventually be furnished. (will need to vent, and run dedicated line from breaker that much I can handle) where it gets tricky for me is how to connect this into my homes existing forced water system. I only have one zone, its a single story home, but is somewhat large. its about 1800 or so sq ft total.

What I'd like to do is, run plumbing back to the oil boiler, and have the capability to have both heat and domestic hot water. Does anyone have a diagram and parts list they can share? Is it ok to us PEX for the plumbing? do I need a separate thermostat to adjust heat output?

Thank you all in advance!
vtpenguin

Re: Looking for a detailed diagram

Postby 67whitestingray » February 27th, 2014, 8:26 am

Howdy from Rhode Island. I also installed My Crosslink Conversion Myself. I have almost the same system as You. Oil fired baseboard hot water. I HAD a inderect fired hot water heater. Not any more. It soaked up to much hot water from My kit. I plumbed Hot water from My pellet stove (in My garage 100 foot loop) in to the top of My boiler. Out the bottom(drain valve) back to the stove. But frist the hot water goes to a electric 40 gal hot water tank with a side arm heat exchanger. NO electric yet. Plenty of hot water. (I still can't beleave it works as well as it does). I used all 3/4 copper tubing for inside plumbing. Pex under ground. It's simple, hot water in the top, cold water out the bottom. All the boiler plumbing stays the same. To recap, Hot water from kit to side arm to top of boiler back to kit. My system works well. But I have to move the stove and kit in My basement. Harman p61a. 3 bags of pellets a day. I used 1 tank of oil this year so far and 8 tons of pellets. Winter is not over. Oil alone would have cost Me over $4000.00. So far this year $2700.00. But, I'm heating two buildings and making hot water. Not to bad. Thanks Jimmy.
67whitestingray

Postby tommy » February 27th, 2014, 11:30 am

Is this about what you need http://www.centralboiler.com/Tech/C210.pdf
You can all so chech out central boiler web site and scroll down to see more hot water home diagrams http://www.centralboiler.com/otherExamples.html
tommy

Postby vtpenguin » February 27th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm starting to get it.

So will i need the side arm heat exchanger for my hot water tank? or will the coil in the boiler do the same thing? (I'll be circulating water form the pellet stove) into the boiler, which will in turn heat the coil, right?

What will i need, to connect the pellet stove into the existing thermostats, so the oil only comes on if pellets run out?
vtpenguin

Postby vtpenguin » February 27th, 2014, 5:56 pm

I looked at my boiler, can't see immediately where I would put water from the kit "in" photos will maybe help someone help me lol. Also a photo of where I want to put it. There appears to be some plumbing that maybe was used for something similar in the past? What do you think

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g236/ ... 3792E1.jpg

vtpenguin

Postby 67whitestingray » February 28th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Ok. I would go in to the top of Your boiler right were the vent is.(hot water in from stove). Right near the black pipe with the coupling on it. I can't see the drain in Your pix. I would go out at that point. You don't have to wire the boiler to the pellet stove. Leave Your boiler turn on. When You run out of pellets the boiler will maintan temp on it's own. The thermostat wire on a Harman stove will become a aquastat. It gets tied on to the in coming pipe at the kit. It senses water temp to run the stove up and down. You also have to put a stand alone aquastat for the pellet feed motor. it will shut down the stove if temp goes out of control. It goes on the hot water pipe at the stove going to the boiler. Forget the past plumbing, start fresh. It looks like You have a tankless hot water heater hooked up to a electric water heater??? That is kind of over kill. You can try it and see what happens. Your best bet is the side arm heat exchanger.
67whitestingray

Postby niteshft » March 1st, 2014, 12:21 pm

I've updated my post with a sketch of how I plumbed my system. Maybe it'll help give you ideas on how to set up yours.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=361
niteshft

Return to Cross Link Conversions