Harmon P68 control wiring question.

Please use the Forum of conversations about Cross Link Conversions' boiler systmes

Harmon P68 control wiring question.

Postby Rushed » October 7th, 2013, 9:20 am

I've been doing reseach on the crosslink conversions and I think it's a great idea.
I have a 3000 sq' home with an oil boiler with 1 zone to a superstore hot water and 2 zones 1st floor and 2nd floor hydro air setup. My Harmon P68 sit on the 2nd floor right above my boiler in the basement. (Easy install for piping real close.)
My concerns are with the control of the stove to ramp it up and down as needed. I don't want to use an aquastat on the return water pipe to control the pellet feed motor. If the heat is satified in the house and the stove cools down it will think it is out of pellets. It will lockout and have to be manually reset to start back up. My house gets lots of afternoon sun and the stove shuts down on most days.
I would like to control my stove with my boiler operating control box through the room sensor. So as the boiler calls for heat the stove will ramp up.
Does anyone do this? If so any special devices needed?
Thanks.
Rushed

Re: Harmon P68 control wiring question.

Postby admin » October 7th, 2013, 9:46 am

Rushed wrote:I've been doing reseach on the crosslink conversions and I think it's a great idea.
I have a 3000 sq' home with an oil boiler with 1 zone to a superstore hot water and 2 zones 1st floor and 2nd floor hydro air setup. My Harmon P68 sit on the 2nd floor right above my boiler in the basement. (Easy install for piping real close.)
My concerns are with the control of the stove to ramp it up and down as needed. I don't want to use an aquastat on the return water pipe to control the pellet feed motor. If the heat is satified in the house and the stove cools down it will think it is out of pellets. It will lockout and have to be manually reset to start back up. My house gets lots of afternoon sun and the stove shuts down on most days.
I would like to control my stove with my boiler operating control box through the room sensor. So as the boiler calls for heat the stove will ramp up.
Does anyone do this? If so any special devices needed?
Thanks.

Here this may help you it is from the posting from
Installing Infomation and helpfull Links
NOTE:
For Harman's only

Harman's need to have the room sensor cord changed over to being a aquastat water sensor, so that it can sense the water temp now instead of the room air temp the control board on Harman's works off of omens not normally open and close circuitry. The kit comes with the parts needed to change the omens so that the control board will now work the same as it did before the boiler kit,( JUST ADD THE SHORT RESISTOR THAT COMES WITH THE HARMAN KIT TO ONE OF THE PLUG IN'S TO THE ROOM SENSOR CORD THAT PLUGS INTO THE REAR OF STOVE ) by using the room temp settings. The knob can now be used to adjust the temp of the water that works best for your heating application.

NOTE:
Add the SHORT RESISTOR WIRE to ONE of the sensor cord WIRES that plugs into the rear of the stove, and attach the other end of the cord to the top pipe about 3 inches from the bend close to the first union. use zip ties to secure firmly to the TOP pipe from the heat exchanger.

NOTE...
DO NOT USE TAPE it can melt and cause the sensor to fall off, AND THEN THE CONTROL BOARD WILL TRY TO MAKE THE WATER HOTTER

NOTE:
As always putting safety first. It is recommend ( ON ALL CROSSLINK CONVERSIONS KITS ) attaching another aquastat to sense if the water gets to hot to shut down the stove ( due to pump failure, or what ever as things just can happen ) with the temperature set ten degrees above your systems operating temp ( to allow enough time for the fire to cool down and the water not to get to an unsafe boiling temp) to the OUTLET pipe.... of the crosslinks kit , or the hot water exit ( on ALL Crosslink kits ) coming out from the kits heat exchanger. And wire splice it into the black wire (on the Harman's and most stoves ) to the stoves feed auger motor. To open the circuit to the feed motor and shut off the fuel supply to the stove. ( This will work as if the stove has ran out of fuel ( pellets corn etc.) So the control board can sense that the stove is out off fuel and shut down. ( on Harman's it will set the stove into a shut down 6 plink mode). There for shutting down burn pot well before the water can raise to 200 DEGREES.
Tom Breuer
admin
Site Admin

Postby tommy » October 7th, 2013, 10:15 am

Some people have intergraded the harmans room sencer cord ( that is now straped to the kits pipping to control the harmans computer to regulate the water temp along with a wall style air temp thermosat so that they can controll there system in a way that works better for them.
tommy

Postby Rushed » October 8th, 2013, 3:48 am

Thanks for the info guys.
I think you have a great product here.
Look forward to getting mine ordered and installed. (Have any used units for sale?)
I've been heating my home with just my P68 on my first floor and look forward to having even heat throughout my home.
Thanks again.
Rushed

Postby Jilland Phil » January 19th, 2014, 3:46 pm

Hi Tommy
Could you explain to me how you intergraded the harmans room sencer cord ( that is now straped to the kits pipping to control the harmans computer to regulate the water temp along with a wall style air temp thermosat so that we can control the pellet stove and boiler to come on and shut off at the same time.
Jilland Phil

Postby tommy » January 19th, 2014, 11:51 pm

Jilland Phil wrote:Hi Tommy
Could you explain to me how you intergraded the harmans room sencer cord ( that is now straped to the kits pipping to control the harmans computer to regulate the water temp along with a wall style air temp thermosat so that we can control the pellet stove and boiler to come on and shut off at the same time.

Hi
Please call me I would like to see why you think you need both to come on at the same time.
I do not know why you would like to have both come on at the same time?( I have never seen a need for this to be done )
I am not a hyvc or a electrician ( Call a heating contractor and or an electrician now ).
I think that you would need two differetent wall thermostats.Because you have two different kinds of electricity ( 24 volts and Ohm's ).I do know that you can not use both at the same time with one thermostat.( you would ruion your harmans circit board.!!!! )
Here are some pictures of the Harman room sencor cord with the resistor wire . ( It shows me using two wires in this picture .) one is the resistor and the other is just a normal extension wire )There are two wires one the harman's cord, add the one short resistor to one of them.( only one resistor wire is needed ) and then plug in both wires into the stoves plug in's
Now with the stove setting on the room sencoring auto setting .The stove will now sence the water temp and run the stove as if it was testing the room air.Harmans does not have a plug in for wall thermostasts ( That use a open and closed circuits) as other stove do .
Because Harman's use an ohm metering circuit for there computor boards.
However you can use a wall thermostat along with the harmans sencoring cord .to controll the stove.They need to be wired as one loop.
Then if the wall thermostat is closed it allows the current ( ohm's) to flow thru the room sencor cord and the thermostat for the stove to work.( only in room sencor mode )
If the wall thermostat is open then the current ( ohm's )can not flow thru either the room sencor cord or the wall thermostat shutting down the stove.
Attachments
!cid_002e01cf15a3$9a9062c0$3C093063@FridayHP.jpg
!cid_002e01cf15a3$9a9062c0$3C093063@FridayHP.jpg (3.76 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
IMAG0084.jpg
IMAG0084.jpg (5.65 KiB) Viewed 3180 times
tommy

Return to Cross Link Conversions