Instalation in CAB-50

Please use the Forum of conversations about Cross Link Conversions' boiler systmes

Instalation in CAB-50

Postby niteshft » March 5th, 2013, 3:53 pm

Here is my set-up in a CAB-50.

IMG_1203 (1024x683) (800x534).jpg
IMG_1203 (1024x683) (800x534).jpg (205.97 KiB) Viewed 13142 times

I tapped into the firepot blower to the relay (on top of box with red led) that supplys fresh power for the circulator and transformer for the zone valves. I have 110v entering from behind the box.

IMG_1204 (1024x683) (800x534).jpg
IMG_1204 (1024x683) (800x534).jpg (190.74 KiB) Viewed 13142 times
IMG_1205 (683x1024) (534x800).jpg
IMG_1205 (683x1024) (534x800).jpg (222.65 KiB) Viewed 13142 times

When the system calls for heat, the zone valve opens to heat the water in the 6 gal tank first and then the hydrostat switches the circulation to the baseboards and domestic hot water. The returning water then goes through the 6 gal tank, buffering it before it goes back through the pellet stove so it doesn't have to work so hard to reheat the water.

IMG_1207 (1024x683) (800x534).jpg
IMG_1207 (1024x683) (800x534).jpg (257.37 KiB) Viewed 13142 times
IMG_1206 (683x1024) (534x800).jpg
IMG_1206 (683x1024) (534x800).jpg (281.31 KiB) Viewed 13142 times

Just in case something happens to the relays or the 24v transformer, I installed a relief valve at the zone valve that supplies the baseboard and domestic hot water, an idea I copied from the bypass at the thermostat that came with the system.

IMG_1208 (683x1024) (534x800).jpg
IMG_1208 (683x1024) (534x800).jpg (206.63 KiB) Viewed 13142 times

I've added a check valve in the return line to the boiler from both the baseboard and the domestic hot water lines so that I'm not heating the boiler itself. Although I didn't have to do it that way, I felt it was quicker to heat a 6 gal tank than the boiler mass as well as the water in the boiler and it's working great. The only circulator that runs is the one I installed for the kit with this set-up, while the pellet stove is running, another savings on electricity.

I'm heating a 28 x 40 Gambrel with a 2 car garage on the first level, where the pellet stove is installed. This area will be renovated to a combo living room/kitchen and bathroom in the future and is why I decided to have the controls and gages in the utility room behind the chimney. The upstairs has a living room, which will be a game room in the future, 2 bed rooms, kitchen and full bath. Total sq feet is 2,240. I can't give a reliable use of pellets this time around as I didn't have the unit running till mid Jan and there was time to get things tweeked but it looks like I will be using 4 tons this winter, total. Some of that is with the pellet stove running without the kit installed. I also used about 1/4 tank of oil. I expect to use less pellets next year with no use of oil. If I was able to do the renovations I would expect to use approx 3 tons of pellets and no oil. Either way, I'm looking forward to next winter to see what my savings will actually be.

Later, when I can find time, I'll add a sketch as to the layout for a better understanding of what I've done.
niteshft

Re: Instalation in CAB-50

Postby kwiest » January 8th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Hi, Ken Wiest here. I've seen your pictures of CAB-50 with crosslink conversion. I'm in the process of having a heat pump installed at my home. Currently I'm running an oil hot water baseboard heat and domestic system. I came accross toms' web site and found your info in the forum. I'm also looking at purchasing a Cab 50 to use as my supplemental heat source. One of my questions for Tom was do you make a coversion kit for a Cab 50, your post answered that. You had mentioned that you may add a sketch of your layout, have you done so, and if you have where can I locate it? I'm not a plumber, but I do have a friend that is very capable with furnace repairs and installation. Do you have any recomendations?

Thanks,
Ken Wiest, future pellet stove owner
kwiest

Postby kwiest » February 11th, 2014, 12:19 pm

Hi, Ken Wiest here. I've seen your pictures of CAB-50 with crosslink conversion. I'm in the process of having a heat pump installed at my home. Currently I'm running an oil hot water baseboard heat and domestic system. I came accross toms' web site and found your info in the forum. I'm also looking at purchasing a Cab 50 to use as my supplemental heat source. One of my questions for Tom was do you make a coversion kit for a Cab 50, your post answered that. You had mentioned that you may add a sketch of your layout, have you done so, and if you have where can I locate it? I'm not a plumber, but I do have a friend that is very capable with furnace repairs and installation. Do you have any recomendations?

Thanks,
Ken Wiest, future pellet stove owner
kwiest

Postby 67whitestingray » February 12th, 2014, 7:59 am

Very nice install. Can You show Us A good plumbing and wireing diagram. What are Your water temps in and out of Your kit? Thanks Jimmy.
67whitestingray

Postby niteshft » February 27th, 2014, 3:57 pm

I've finally had time to sit and sketch how I set up my kit. I hope you find it helpfull for ideas to set up your own kit. I'm getting 30-40 deg. difference in the output with shield installed but that is with the larger unit. Before the shield I was only getting 20-25 difference. I find it beneficial to brush the tubing on a daily basis for better transfer of heat. It would be nice to have a brush kit installed with a handle that exits the side of the stove so it could be done while the stove is running. (altho, I have opened the door while the stove is running to give it a quick brushing.) It definately helps with the temps to keep the tubing clean as often as you can. My mind is working on something, lol, hopefully I will come up with something automated. ;)

001.jpg
001.jpg (126.25 KiB) Viewed 10606 times

002.jpg
002.jpg (112.99 KiB) Viewed 10606 times
niteshft

Postby 67whitestingray » March 2nd, 2014, 10:17 am

I also have to clean the tubes every day for good performance. I have a Narman P61. My plumbing is much more simply than Yours. I would like to post a diagram of My system but I don't know how too. Can You help Me with that? How many bags of pellets do You use in 24 hours? Thanks for the help. Jimmy.
67whitestingray

Postby niteshft » March 10th, 2014, 7:52 am

67whitestingray, there is an "Upload attachment" feature below the box you type your reply. The largest side of a picture must be 1000 or below to upload. hope that helps.

My install is rather simple considering I've added it to an existing system. The only change I made to the original system beyond attaching the kit was the addition of the two check valves so the oil boiler isn't heated by the kit, saving recovery time.

I've never kept track of pellet use on a daily basis. Last year I used just under 4 tons but this year I have 6 bags left of the 4 tons I purchased early in the season. I've kept my home at 72 deg this year and it's been a much colder season....last year it was set at 68 deg. I plan on picking up another 1/2 ton today. Also, my domestic hot water valve is closed at the kit during fall and spring as the stove doesn't run long enough to keep up with the need so the boiler takes over that duty. I've been looking at heat pumps for use when outside temps permit it's use. They are getting very efficient and are much, much cheaper to run than burning oil. I'll be instaling one as soon as the funds become available.
niteshft

Postby 67whitestingray » March 11th, 2014, 7:16 am

OK, I see the upload attachment. I'll try pixs. I took a good hard look at Your system. I don't undrestand Your wiring? Why did You get power from the firepot blower and what is the relay doing? hanks.
67whitestingray

Postby tommy » March 11th, 2014, 10:15 am

67whitestingray wrote:OK, I see the upload attachment. I'll try pixs. I took a good hard look at Your system. I don't undrestand Your wiring? Why did You get power from the firepot blower and what is the relay doing? hanks.

Some stoves like the Harmans have an ohm electric that changes the 110 volts up and down ( other stoves like Heatolitors have open and close ciruitry) to all the different motors etc .Harman stoves can not be used to start pumps etc.
tommy

Postby niteshft » March 23rd, 2014, 6:32 pm

67whitestingray wrote:OK, I see the upload attachment. I'll try pixs. I took a good hard look at Your system. I don't undrestand Your wiring? Why did You get power from the firepot blower and what is the relay doing? hanks.

The firepot, or probably more correctly the exhaust, blower comes on when the stove comes on. I don't want to draw amperage from it so it is used to close contacts in a relay only. The relay makes a connection from another 110v source from the main panel to power the circulator and 12v transformer that opperates the hydrostat and zone valves when the stove turns on.
niteshft

Postby tommy » March 23rd, 2014, 7:50 pm

niteshft wrote:

The firepot, or probably more correctly the exhaust, blower comes on when the stove comes on. I don't want to draw amperage from it so it is used to close contacts in a relay only. The relay makes a connection from another 110v source from the main panel to power the circulator and 12v transformer that opperates the hydrostat and zone valves when the stove turns on.

Do not do this on ANY Harman stoves because there is no actual 110 circuitry that is not controled by the computer board.It regulates the voltages needed for the stove.Other stoves that are using normanuly open or normanuly closed 110 volts it may work find Just not on Harmans.
tommy

Postby niteshft » April 5th, 2014, 10:52 am

As many of you have expereanced, this winter has been pretty brutal. I've used 4 1/2 ton of pellets this year vs. 4 ton last year and only had to run my boiler for 15-20 minutes in the morning for a little boost on occasion. The use hasn't been enough to register any change on my tank gage so I haven't any idea of how much oil was used. I've also set my thermostat to 72 deg. this year verses 68 deg. last year, making the stove run more often, one reason for the increse in pellet use. Another reason for the increase in pellet use is the kit was used for the whole season verses a partial season last year as I instaled the kit in Jan. and had to tweek it over the corse of the winter. Although I would like to see a few tweeks with the design, I'm extremely happy with the results and have recommended the kit to others and brag quite often about how much I'm saving with this set-up. :D
niteshft

Return to Cross Link Conversions