TESTIMONIAL'S

Please use the Forum of conversations about Cross Link Conversions' boiler systmes

TESTIMONIAL'S

Postby tommy » April 9th, 2011, 7:58 am

Re: Savings
by woodsedge » March 26th, 2011, 11:16 am

Ok - since my 'test' post worked here we go again...
I have been a dealer of corn/wood pellet and wood stoves for 9 years. It's nice to have a St. Croix Auburn stove to heat my 1920's rustic showroom building (2x4 walls and not well insulated). And at the same time I am heating the infloor heat and domestic hot water in a new addition ( approx 1,000 sqft).
When I hooked up the Crosslink system to my Auburn (in 2009/2010, I was already heating with my outside wood boiler. All I had to do was add two bypasses, a pump, some pex and a hand full of fittings to my lines from my infloor set up to mix with my heated water from the Auburn. My storage tank is an old cast iron baseboard heater (approx 12' and 200 lbs) that holds around ten gallons of water. I did have to insulate this baseboard (this is in the old building), it put out way too much heat in the same room as the Auburn. I shoot for a temp of 115* into the floor and then I get 100* out by using an aquastat on the cold water return, it regulates the stove's settings up and down. With the Auburn raising the return water temp up an additional 25* or so, it works very well for us.
When I want to burn my Bixby or Cumberland stoves, I'll shut the Auburn down and turn the valves to heat my infloor and domestic with the outside wood boiler again.
Thanks - Dan - owner of Wood's Edge Alternative Heating, LLC - Glencoe, Mn - www.woodsedge.us
p.s. If you would like to ask me questions, please do not expect an immediate response, as I do not know how to run a computer and so my wife needs to run it for me. Also with farming, cattle and a cement business I do not have a lot of spare time....woodsedge

tommy

Re: TESTIMONIAL'S

Postby tommy » April 9th, 2011, 7:59 am

Report this postReply with quote Re: Savings
by chadhumm » April 1st, 2011, 4:44 pm

I took a trip up to Minnesota in March of 2010 to see some working heating systems using Tommy's kit. After seeing them work and how satisfied his customers were, I purchased one myself for my St. Croix Auburn stove. I am heating my domestic hot water as well as running a water to air heat exchanger in my in my forced air furnace. I used it this winter supplemeted with a pellet stove that had to use very little fuel since Tommy's kit took care of 90% of the heating of an old two story farm house in Northern Illinois. With the system set up in my basement so I have the added protection from pipes freezing. I was able to get heat throughout all parts of the house, which I couldn't have done with the corn stove alone and 'bonus', domestic hot water without paying for propane. I have saved approximately $1,000 a year on propane. This is my first heating season using the kit and I see I will have a fast return on investment
tommy

Postby tommy » April 9th, 2011, 8:01 am

cornstove » March 16th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Hookme, I purchased a St. Croix corn/pellet stove back in 2003 because of the same issues you are having. My home is 3000 square ft 2 story. 1000 ft basement, 1000ft 1st floor & 1000ft 2nd floor. The basement was always cold. $3,000 to $4,000 in propane. I installed the cornstove in the basement figuring heat rises. Well to keep the 1st floor comfortable I had to have my basement at 80 to 85 degrees and the 3rd floor was cold. In 2008 I purchased this kit and installed it running the output of kit through my hot water heater (copper pipe through a bigger copper pipe) then out of there into a 6 gallon holding tank then to the heat exchanger. (Not sure of the lingo had a heating/air technician install it.) Now basement is 70 degrees, 1st floor 70 degrees and 2nd floor 68 degrees. You have to play with your cold air returns and heat ducts to balance house. I'm sure every house wiil be different. Before kit $600 corn/pelllets and $2,000 propane. After kit $600 corn/pellets and $500 propane. Saving $ 1,500 a year and heating hot water 24/7, not sweating in my basement and cozy warm house. We had a problem with stove and it was down for 2 days last year (needed a fan) My wife could tell the difference in the heat right away. Boy we missed it. Like I said it's been 3 years since I had it installed in my stove but just a estimate I recall It was $2,400 (payed for itself in less than 2 yrs). But I already had the stove I think I payed 1,800 for St. Croix Auburn in 2003. Crosslink Conversion Kit $1,500, Pumps 2 @ $100, 6 gallon hot water tank $200, Copper pipe approx. 80 ft, 2 aquastats (Honeywell) @ $100, Heat exchanger $200 and misc. fittings $80 most everything was purchaced at home center. (Menards, Lowes or Home Depot).
Hope this helps. By the way so far this year I'm at $1,800 in savings!!!!!!cornstove

tommy

Postby tommy » April 9th, 2011, 8:04 am

by marior51 » March 19th, 2011, 8:41 pm

Hi, I,m not sure where to start so I'm going to just go for it. My system costs were $200 for copper piping, 6 gal water heater $200, two 65,000 btu water to air heat exchangers $180, I made my own water to water heat exchanger for my hot water heater $150 ???? and the kit $1500. I did the work myself after tom told me how to hook it up and I have saved about $2-300 depending on how cold it gets because I have a small stove 45,000 btu so I have to run it higher then I would like. but still saving money from what I was spending $5-600 on propane... I hope this helps
tommy

Postby tommy » April 9th, 2011, 8:05 am

by kirkkara » March 6th, 2011, 8:33 pm

The hot air from the stove heats our garage and the hot water heats my sons bedroom and my office which were pretty cold before. Now they are heated by Crosslinks boiler system by us adding baseboard throughout the rooms. With the stove burning the same amount of fuel that it took to just heat the garage.
Thanks Tom

kirk,kara

Last edited by tommy on September 13th, 2011, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
tommy

Postby tommy » April 9th, 2011, 8:07 am

by Toastywarm » March 10th, 2011, 10:17 pm

saved me from spending alot more money on a newer boiler that I did not have. and $1500.00 or so far this year,Tom I posted a post on another forum my friend told me if I liked your system that much I should tell people about it.He uses Hearth.com so I did .Hope you are all right with me doing it? It's under hydronics or something like that. I will ask next time
Toastywarm

tommy

Postby tommy » April 9th, 2011, 8:08 am

by cornstove » March 12th, 2011, 5:04 pm

Well it's March 12th 2011 and my third winter with my boiler system. Had to switch to pellets 3 weeks ago (usually burn corn) because of the price of corn. But just figured my savings out $1,800.00 and have another month of the heating season here in Minnesota. Yee Haaa!!!!! THIS THING ROCKS (Hot water heater & A-coil in forced air) Oh yeah and did I mention my family is warm
tommy

Postby tommy » April 9th, 2011, 8:09 am

by marior51 » March 18th, 2011, 3:14 pm

HI, I have a Crosslinks system in my house working for the last two winters. I am useing a menards pellet stove, 45,000 btu's with a smaller boiler kit compared to what Tommy is selling now. I have a 3500 sq ft home that it heats, the stove runs on 3 out of 4 but it keeps us warm all winter. I also have 7 kids in my house, we heat our hot water with the system, granted it dosent heat all the water we use but it does help. When I put the system in I was useing $5-600 of propane a month and now I use no propane and it costs me around $270???? in pellets depending on temps which is a $2-300 savings which I really am happy about. I have paid for my system in the first year.............. Yes, I like it....
tommy

Postby walchmn » February 15th, 2012, 3:44 pm

I recently purchased a kit from Tommy for my Countryside Magnum I picked up off Craigslist. I built a 40 x 64 (with 16' side walls) pole shed 7 years ago planing to make a nice shop someday. 3 years ago I finished it off and installed tubing in the cement for a heated floor. Initially I heated it with a Big E pellet stove (purchased at Fleet Farm), just to take the chill off but always wanted to get the floor going. Was thinking of going with geothermal but when I saw this boiler on Craigslist I thought this would be a lot cheaper than geothermal. Tommy wasn't building kits yet for the Big E so I picked up the Countryside. Currently I'm running the stove on 3 and using about a bag of pellets a day and the shop is around 60 degrees, plenty warm when you are working on stuff. I've include a picture of my setup. I did all the work myself. I already had the 6gal water heater, purchased the panel on the wall from Menards because it was already complete. So far I really like it. I should mention I live in Minnesota so to heat a shop that big on a bag of pellets ($3.50 a bag on sale at Menards) is pretty remarkable.
Attachments
DSCF0039.JPG
walchmn

Postby juankis00 » February 21st, 2012, 4:10 pm

Nice Job! looks nice! no messy piping system. Just one a polite suggestion: Could you please add or explain the flow path of your pics; this should help understand better to everyone watching how water flow runs through your system on this pic. Thank you. Enjoy your system...
juankis00

Postby tommy » March 9th, 2012, 8:28 pm

juankis00 wrote:Nice Job! looks nice! no messy piping system. Just one a polite suggestion: Could you please add or explain the flow path of your pics; this should help understand better to everyone watching how water flow runs through your system on this pic. Thank you. Enjoy your system...

Double Click on his picture and you will see the water flow arrows
Here is a link to Hydro Smart premade panels If you would like to see about them.
http://www.hydro-smartwholesale.com/Panels.html
Attachments
IMAG0300.jpg
one of many kinds they sell
tommy

Postby tommy » July 8th, 2012, 10:46 pm

You can buy this allready asembeled from the people who manufactor them or get them at Marnards
tommy

Postby tommy » November 27th, 2012, 9:04 pm

Re: Please decribe your set up and total install cost

by buddy1002 » November 27th, 2012, 7:26 pm

I`m writing this in response to the questions I`ve seen posted in the hope it may help answer some of these questions. I started this venture about ten years ago when I purchased an older waterfront home and started the remodeling prosses. I do all my own work with some help from friends which made it much more affordable. After adding a second floor and replacing everthing, plumping, electrical, windows, oil fired furnace, duct work and reinsulating the whole house I thought I was finished. Then oil prices started rising and my heating bill was skyrocketing. I was burning about three tanks of oil a winter (approx. 700 gal.) at $2.00 per gal. I did some research and since my basement ceiling was uninsulated and my floor joists exposed I decided to purchase a radiant floor heat system, ($2400.00), which I installed myself. Not only did this cut my oil cost in half but the comfort factor was great. When I was useing my hot air system my thermostat stayed on 68 or 69 trying to keep cost down. With this system my house stays 72 to 76 all winter long. At that time I thought I had solved all my problems but then the price of oil almost doubled and I was right back to square one. Again I started looking for a solution and thats when I saw the postng on craigslist for crosslinks conversions. After some research and several conversations with Tom I purchased a used Harman p68 stove with a unit installed in it for $3500.00 from Tom. The floor heat I installed is whats called an open direct system which means the water in my system is pottable water (drinking water) and is heated by my oil fired hot water heater. I installed the pellet stove in the basement near my water heater. I removed the pressure relief and the drain valve, installed T`s, then reinstalled them and connected the stove in parrallel with a circulating pump, so now the stove heats the water in the water heater which in turn heats the water in the floor. Last winter I used 2 tons of pellets,($350.00) and I`m on track to do the same this year as opposed to 3 tanks of oil($2800.00), you do the math. At this rate the system should more than pay for itself and my floor heat system in just three seasons. I know everyones circumstances differ but with energy costs what they are and based on my own experience I feel anyone who buys a system and utilizes it properly not only will cut cost but increase comfort a lot. I`ve included a diagram of my floor heat system just for anyone who may be considering installing a system, I strongly recommend doing so if your situation allows
tommy

Postby admin » November 29th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Big E hookup

by peggy1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:28 am

Tommy I want to tell you a few things about the insert for my big E pellet stove first off I am really impressed on the quality and workmanship of the insert. Next the ease of installtion no degree needed here lol and now the out come I am able to maintain my house 72 degrees without the t-stat installed will trying that out later with the t-stat.Here are a couple of pics again thank you for the quality and the ability to save money on my heating bill Greg Van Price
Attachmentspeggy1 Posts: 3Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:48 am
Attachments
100_0269.jpg
100_0269.jpg (42.08 KiB) Viewed 8466 times
100_0270.jpg
100_0270.jpg (39.89 KiB) Viewed 8466 times
Tom Breuer
admin
Site Admin

Postby tommy » December 31st, 2012, 5:36 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Savings

by Bioburner » December 30th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Having now got over two cold months under my Harman PC45 with crosslink I can say" I LIKE IT" Having had a infloor system and using a corn boiler the switch was easy. Making shure the stove was put in the right spot in the basement to maximize the hot air upflow was narrowed down by previous Bixby stove use to heat upstairs. With the last few days being very cold, averaging around Zero, my pellet use has been around 2.5 pounds an hour averaged over 4.5 days. Room temperature of the basement sticking close to 72+. The upstairs coolest room temp of 65 this AM with outside of -5. Home is a newer 30 by 50 on a ICF basement. I could not heat the basement and upstairs with the old boiler with out the help of the Bixby. My old boiler used at least a bushel a day when used to temper the basement and the Bixby at least pound an hour without heating the entire upstairs or heating the domestic hot water. I am figuring at least a savings of 25% without calculating my savings from hot water or the fact the outside temps are well below normal. The whole house is livable now without using two systems. Happy New Year
Bioburner Posts: 2Joined: January 19th, 2012, 10:31 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tommy

Postby tommy » December 31st, 2012, 5:41 pm

This is from another forum he posted on
Hearth.com
Bioburner
Feeling the Heat
393 posts
West central Mn

First real down and cold weather to see if the crosslink in the pc45 will heat my entire home. Well todays high was 18 degrees with a NW wind hitting 30 and highest gust of 44. Coolest room at far room of the house was 66 and the rest was warmer. the basement with the infloor was 72 with the stove set between 70 and 75 on the dial. Went through 50lbs last 24hrs. Happy with the heat and savings. Burning pellets and biofuels since 1983
Harman P45 home stove now with crosslink boiler conversion heating 3,000 sq ft
Bixby 115 for backup, PC45 in the garage

tommy

Postby Tecitout » January 3rd, 2013, 5:39 pm

I purchased this conversion kit from Tommy last year, I had considerable problems trying to get a plumber to install it. Four weeks ago I finally located to crackerjack plumbers who installed the kit for me on a Sunday. One of them had to return again and make some modifications that Tommy suggested we do. I have a somewhat simple set up in that I have a forced hot water furnace and I am just needing to heat the water in it. It basically has three zones one is for a side arm hot water heater one is for the main house and the third is for the three bedrooms. The bedrooms have always been cold so the install was set up that the bedrooms would be the dump should the temperature in the boiler go over 170° or 180°. I don't think that that has ever happened. In the three weeks that this unit has been running I only know of one step the furnace has had to come on and that was when we had guests and there was several showers being taken one after the other. Yesterday the outside temperature never got above freezing and this morning we had -7° outside temperature. Inside temperature was a very comfortable 71°. Last season I used about a bag of day of pellets both in the Harman P 68 which is in my basement and has the conversion kit installed in it, and we have a Harman fireplace insert in our living room and it uses a bag a day also. Since the installation of the crosslink kit I am using about a half a bag of pellets in the fireplace insert over a 24-hour period. And in the conversion stove I am using about two bags a day, I am very happy with this installation the stove and the conversion have exceeded my expectations. Next season I plan on having the second furnace which is furnished in law apartment attached also to the setup.
The following link is a video of my set up on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKPYZK7ohEo
Tecitout

Postby 705Ray » January 9th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Tommy,
I have a 5 level side split home in northern Ontario which is about 3000 square feet with all the levels heated with an in floor system. When we bought the house it was heated with an oil boiler and cost about $6000.00 a year to heat with oil (2006 prices) I have since replaced the oil boiler with an electric one and replaced the two wood inserts with an air tight wood stove and a Quadra fire insert. Being that the house has so many levels it does not heat comfortably with the inserts and the wood and pellets cost around $2400.00 a year with very hot and cold areas (wife not happy but at least we were not spending $6k on oil). Since installing one of your Harman PC-45s with the boiler kit our home is finally even and warm thruout. I also installed a side arm heat exchanger on our electric hot water tank it works very well. I have benn running the system for about 3 weeks and am very happy so far. I turned the electric boiler and hot water tank off after the second week and the system has run very well consuming about a bag and a half of hardwood blend pellets per day. There has been many -20 (deg C) and the house is warm and I am on track to burn somewhere around 4 or 5 tonnes of pellets for the season. If the system keeps up this winter I intend to relocate the pellet conversion to my garage and try to heat the garage and hot tub as well as the house. On most days so far the harman PC-45 has been running on setting 5 with the fan switch on low and the strap on stat pluged into the room sensor is keeping the return water temp about 120 and the out going water 150 deg. The 5 tonnes of pellets will run me about $1200.00 for the winter (awesome) and this includes domestic hot water! Now for the system cost $$ -the stove was $4500.00 The chimney was $800.00 The plumbing all in was about $1000.00 I did not have any labor cost a friend and I did the install on a weekend. This system cost would compare to an oil boiler and fuel tank installed in my area but runs for much less. The Harman stove runs like dream.
705Ray

Postby admin » March 6th, 2013, 11:30 am

Clich on this link to read a posting for a Heatilator Cab50

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=361
Tom Breuer
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » September 5th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Will some more people post there savings from last year
THANKS
tommy
Tom Breuer
admin
Site Admin

Postby Rushed » October 7th, 2013, 8:55 am

705Ray wrote:Tommy,
I have a 5 level side split home in northern Ontario which is about 3000 square feet with all the levels heated with an in floor system. When we bought the house it was heated with an oil boiler and cost about $6000.00 a year to heat with oil (2006 prices) I have since replaced the oil boiler with an electric one and replaced the two wood inserts with an air tight wood stove and a Quadra fire insert. Being that the house has so many levels it does not heat comfortably with the inserts and the wood and pellets cost around $2400.00 a year with very hot and cold areas (wife not happy but at least we were not spending $6k on oil). Since installing one of your Harman PC-45s with the boiler kit our home is finally even and warm thruout. I also installed a side arm heat exchanger on our electric hot water tank it works very well. I have benn running the system for about 3 weeks and am very happy so far. I turned the electric boiler and hot water tank off after the second week and the system has run very well consuming about a bag and a half of hardwood blend pellets per day. There has been many -20 (deg C) and the house is warm and I am on track to burn somewhere around 4 or 5 tonnes of pellets for the season. If the system keeps up this winter I intend to relocate the pellet conversion to my garage and try to heat the garage and hot tub as well as the house. On most days so far the harman PC-45 has been running on setting 5 with the fan switch on low and the strap on stat pluged into the room sensor is keeping the return water temp about 120 and the out going water 150 deg. The 5 tonnes of pellets will run me about $1200.00 for the winter (awesome) and this includes domestic hot water! Now for the system cost $$ -the stove was $4500.00 The chimney was $800.00 The plumbing all in was about $1000.00 I did not have any labor cost a friend and I did the install on a weekend. This system cost would compare to an oil boiler and fuel tank installed in my area but runs for much less. The Harman stove runs like dream.

When you say strap on stat pluged into your room sensor.
Is it a type of aquastat?
Do have some pitcures of this or make and model #.
I'm thinking of installing 1 of theese systems and I don't want to control the temp by rewiring the pellet feed motor to an aquastat.
With these Harmon stoves if you shut down the stove by starving it of pellets it will think it ran out and go into an interlock mode and have to be manually reset.
By using the sesore it will just go in standby mode and relight itself when it calls for heat agian.
Thanks.
Rushed

Postby admin » October 7th, 2013, 9:54 am

Rushed wrote:
705Ray wrote:Tommy,

When you say strap on stat pluged into your room sensor.
Is it a type of aquastat?
Do have some pitcures of this or make and model #.
I'm thinking of installing 1 of theese systems and I don't want to control the temp by rewiring the pellet feed motor to an aquastat.
With these Harmon stoves if you shut down the stove by starving it of pellets it will think it ran out and go into an interlock mode and have to be manually reset.
By using the sesore it will just go in standby mode and relight itself when it calls for heat agian.
Thanks.

I believe he is talking about the stoves room sencor cord ( ON HARMAN'S ONLY ) that has been converted to now sense the water temp with the resistor kit .to contorl the stoves feed system etc.On all stoves using a kit you need to install a saftey stove shut down aquasat wired into the feed motor ( see the videos on the home page they explain and show it. ) So if something was to go wrong and the water temp happens to get to hot the stoves feed system ( augar )would be shut off and if the stoves should go into a shut down mold like it was out of fuel
Tom Breuer
admin
Site Admin

Re: New in computerized plumber.me

Postby Petchu » October 21st, 2013, 10:02 am

]I do not have this system ....yet
I have a system 2000 oil boiler that now sits idle, I use a heat pump and a 40 gallon electric tank for hot water. My pellet stove is an Englander 25 PDV it does a great job overall but the distant rooms are not at desired temps. I would like to install one of these heat exchangers into my stove.
I have a couple questions though.......
1 does the flame impinging on the heat exchanger make the flame sooty meaning the stove must be cleaned more often?
2 currently we run the stove on 1-2 24 hours a day and burn about 2-3 tons a year. Will that usage go up?
I guess I would like to know if anyone has installed Tommy's kit into an Englander stove?
( sorry i am not computer literate too much..............and I don't know where this post will go and who will see it)
I can plumb it, heat it ,wire it, Sheetrock it, roof it, .........but don't ask me to computer it :-)
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
thank you
Steve
Petchu

Postby tommy » November 5th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Petchu wrote:]I do not have this system ....yet
I have a system 2000 oil boiler that now sits idle, I use a heat pump and a 40 gallon electric tank for hot water. My pellet stove is an Englander 25 PDV it does a great job overall but the distant rooms are not at desired temps. I would like to install one of these heat exchangers into my stove.
I have a couple questions though.......
1 does the flame impinging on the heat exchanger make the flame sooty meaning the stove must be cleaned more often?
2 currently we run the stove on 1-2 24 hours a day and burn about 2-3 tons a year. Will that usage go up?
I guess I would like to know if anyone has installed Tommy's kit into an Englander stove?
( sorry i am not computer literate too much..............and I don't know where this post will go and who will see it)
I can plumb it, heat it ,wire it, Sheetrock it, roof it, .........but don't ask me to computer it :-)
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
thank you
Steve

Steve

I am sorry I do not believe that you stoves fire box will not allow a wide enought kit in it to really heat the volume of water that it would take to make costumers happy.It may if it was using the new taco bumble bee pump.How ever I am not planing on making a kit for anytime soon.I have other stoves that I am r/d ing .I know you really want one for your stove.If you want to do what others are doing then you need to get a stove and kit .That they are doing it with.

tommy
tommy

Postby admin » March 21st, 2014, 10:11 pm

Hi Tommy,

I've been running for a month now with the crosslink conversion and its doing an excellent job.

My house is 1200 sq ft modified ranch, with a System 2000 boiler, which makes the domestic hot water and 3 zones of baseboard heat. The Pellet stove is a Harmon P38+.

The System 2000 boiler, has a more efficient controller and low water volume, 1.5 gallons.

The boiler does two things to save oil;

-It does not keep the water at temperature. It starts the burner for 1 minute before opening a zone valve (circulator is running).

-It has a heat purge at the end of the heat cycle, so the boiler is not left hot. It is a 5 minute purge for the hot water and 20 minute for a heating zone.

Having the Crosslink connect to the boiler has not interfered with the System 2000 normal operation. If the pellet stove falls behind, the System 2000 burner kicks in at 120 degrees and runs for about 2 minutes to get back to set point. This sometimes occurs when two heated zones call for heat at once. The volume of cold water returning to the boiler causes the boiler to fall below 120 degrees. This is because of the low water volume (in the boiler) and low mass (stainless steel, not cast iron) of the System 2000.

Prior to the CrossLink Conversion my pellet stove was used to only heated one area of the basement to 55 degrees. My pellet stove was using around a bag of pellets every 30 hours. Now heating the house and making hot water I'm using two bags a day. I was using 500 gallons of oil for a whole year (hot water & heat), I'm hoping to see that drop to 100 gallons a year. My pellet usage is going to jump from 1.5 ton to 2.5, maybe 3 ton which means I may not save that much money, but I have lowered my carbon foot print.

Best Regards,

Larry
Tom Breuer
admin
Site Admin

Return to Cross Link Conversions